Thursday, September 23, 2010

Details



What an exciting day Monday, September 20th, was!
I had been getting more and more anxious for it to arrive with each passing day, resorting to drawing lines on my pretty calendar for each day I made it through. It was a constant reminder that time was indeed rolling along even when it felt like it wasn't.

The morning started with a routine visit to the transplant clinic for my husband. It was the big removing-of-staples visit, and we were there bright and early! Once all of that was finished we decided to spend some time walking around Old(e) City. I love it there. There are so many beautiful sites and sounds. Rarely do we actually have the time to just stroll through the old buildings, or down the little cobble stone streets. This was all short lived by my urgent need to eat though!

After a lovely lunch (he had a burger, I had a calamari salad) we strolled through some pretty streets on our way back to the car. The time was really getting close.


Time to finally see the baby that is.


We arrived 20minutes early, and I expected to sit and wait the eternity that was required of me. However we were both (very pleasantly) surprised when they called my name after 5 minutes (yes!). At this point the husband was looking a little pale, and I wondered if he'd make it through the exam. This was his first time "seeing" the baby and he was all kinds of nervous about that fact.

When our wonderful technician started the first thing we saw was a little head and belly. Then I thought I saw cute little hands. "Nope!" the technician told me. Confused I asked her what I was looking at then. She responded with a chuckle that it appeared my little one had it's legs up in the air with both feet hanging out by his/her face (at this point she would not tell me the sex. She explained she always did that part last. boo!). So a little perplexed but amused, I tried to tell my brain to register the little grey images as feet and not hands.

As though the baby knew I was struggling to get a good grasp on what I was seeing, I saw little hands reach out and play with those little feet! And then I saw the same little hands play with a teeny tiny little mouth. And then I saw a spine. The technician made a small comment about this being a very "active" baby and told me that s/he had flipped to facing my spine. Within a minute or two s/he was back to facing outwards towards my belly. This went on and on, and while I watched I sort of wished I could feel that twirling happening inside my belly.

The technician clicked away, taking all sorts of measurements while I sat content to watch. After 45minutes (and with feet still up by his/her face) she informed me she was ready to make the gender call. Here we go, in seconds I know I am going to hear her say "Girl"

"It looks like a little boy!" she proudly proclaimed. I just sat there wide eyed. Next thing I see her do is zoom in so close to the baby parts it's all a sea of grey, and she begins to circle the 'jewels.' I look over at my husband who is just as shocked as me (I'm not lying when I say we really thought this was a girl.) The technician wrapped up what she was doing, I'm smiling and in shock, and she tells me to wait for the doctor to come in to tell me what he thinks of the measurements.

I snap out of my shocked state and remember to be nervous over the health of the baby. The doctor comes in right away and informs me everything looks good, and to have a happy and healthy 4.5months. Back to gender shock.

We walked to the car and I kept saying, "we're having a little boy. we're having a son."
By the time we got to the car we couldn't even stop containing our excitement.

Since then we've tried in vain to come up with a name or two we like. That is proving problematic. Anyone have any boy names they want to share? (we're going for unique, but not 'moon beam' unique) Until we come up with a permanent name, we're calling him Axel Lee. This started after hearing that a couple from a TV Show we happen to love named their little baby boy this a few weeks ago. Also Lee is my husbands name. He is the opposite in appearance to what comes to mind when you say "Axel." It's a pretty fitting nickname for our little man until we come up with something more permanent. :)


Seriously, send me boy names!
We've got nothin'

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin